Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Skiing and Cows

Odd title, I know. But I have to tell you about both! This weekend T and I went to Shanty Creek skiing with some friends. We had a great time - and I only fell twice! :) I don't ski very fast, so I don't fall very hard. I did my first night skiing when we got there Friday night. I took a wrong turn on the first hill and went on one that was a bit too challenging for me. I pretty much screamed the whole way down. But I didn't fall. :) After that terrifying experience, I stayed on my nice, slow green runs. My favorite up there is called 'Chicken's Choice'. I am not ashamed of the fact that I'm a big chicken. There were lots of people on the slopes Saturday - including many little kids taking lessons. That always freaks me out that I'm going to catch an edge and go careening into a group of innocent little people. I successfully maneuvered around them. Then, there was this very large group from a rehabilitation center who took people with disabilities skiing. Basically, the person would sit in this chair with a ski on the bottom, and someone would ski them down. And there would be about 10 other people skiing around them with bright orange vests. Well, I started going down my Chicken's Choice just as the person and their entourage went, and so I just stayed clear of them. Until one of the orange vest people thought I was getting too close and she threw her arms out and yelled 'STAY BACK!' Hello, yes, I'm not a very good skiier, but I do know how to stay out of people's way. Like I'm going to go gunning for the disabled person. Friggin eh. Anyway, it turned out to be a beautiful weekend. Except for driving home Sunday. Icky. T drove- I slept.

Okay, onto the cow adventure. I was coming home from school last night, when I hit the dirt part of our road, I noticed 6 very large black cows jumping a fence and start running down my road. Um... what the hell do I do now?!? I had never been in that situation before. So, I went to the person's house, but no one came to the door. I thought they might want to know that their cattle were hoofing it toward town. So I followed them for a bit and called T to look out the front window. He said "Are you driving a herd of cattle home?" Yep, I'm a cowgirl - I drive 'em around with my Explorer. So T said he'd call the police and told me to back up and go around the block to come at them from the other way so they'd stop running. Did I mention that we live out in BFE and rarely do cars drive by? So I went around the block and was able to stop them just past our house. As I tried to push them to go the other way, they decided to keep running, not down the road anymore, but up our neighbor's driveway. At least they weren't in the road anymore. What a surprise to anyone who would drive down the road! T went back to the house where the cows lived and was able to find the guy who owned the cows. He said the guy was standing out in his driveway, scratching his head wondered what happened to his black angus. So T ended up getting our quad and helping the guy round up the cows out of our neighbor's field and back down to their house. We never know what goofy things are going to happen out in the country.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Isn't that the craziest feeling? Seeing a cow running down the street at you? Honestly, I was like "ummm is this really happening, or do I have a tumor?"

melinda said...

How funny is that!!! Good thing Tim was home so he could help the guy out. Cally got to round up cattle, how fun! Remember the day we saw all of the cows on M-66 on the way to school?