Monday, September 29, 2008

20 weeks

You're at the halfway mark — congratulations! Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (The way your baby is measured changes now.) He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (although some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).

************************
Oh, what a lovely weekend! Friday night T and I went up to Traverse with my parents for the weekend. Saturday was absolutely gorgeous. I dropped the guys off at the golf course in the morning and then my mom and I went downtown shopping for the morning. We met up with M and her mom for lunch - they just happened to be up there that weekend too! Lovely time! The afternoon was spent laying on the beach - enjoying the sun, the beautiful view, and having nothing to be done right at that second! Saturday night we had a great dinner and then went swimming. Sunday was not so nice (weather-wise) - cloudy, cool, and misty. We dropped off the guys for golf, then went to the mall. On the way home, we went to one of our fav rastaurants - The Cherry Hut in Beulah. Love love love that place. We got several pies to go and enjoyed them later! I then slept pretty much the whole way home.

In TC, I went to an organic store that sells different kinds of cloth diapers that I'm debating on buying. It was great to actually see them all - although they didn't quite have all the kinds that I've read/researched. We spent almost an hour looking them all over and then decided to buy one of most of them to try out which kind we liked the best. My mom and T had that glazed over/totally confused look by the time that we left. There are lots of options and it's hard to know which way to go. My dad came in, but was instantly bored and spent the whole time looking over all the bamboo cooking utensils and things. We walked out of there spending $120 on a small package of all these different diapers. It doesn't seem like much for all that you pay, however when I look at the long-term spending that we would do with disposables, it's a huge savings. One of the calculators I looked at showed that an initial investment of between $300-$400 for cloth would be comparable to spending around $3000 for disposables for 2-3 years- and that's only for one child! With cloth, we can reuse if we decide to have another baby. Or if not, I can sell them! So anyway, I know I sound like a geek, but I'm excited to go home and play with my new diapers!! :)

I'm still working on figuring out my new phone. The problem is: it's a SMARTphone and right now, I'm not very smart! The baby seems to take most of my brain wattage. But, the more I play with it, the more I learn, and that's a good thing. A friend of mine got the same phone so we're learning it together!

1 comment:

Ben said...

I think I screwed up when I tried to post my last comment, so I'll try again! I'm kind of grossed out, wondering how you're going to "try out" and "play with" your new cloth diapers.