Saturday, January 31, 2009

38 Weeks!

Your baby has really plumped up. She weighs about 6.8 pounds and she's over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek). She has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold her hand for the first time! Her organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If she's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If she's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time she's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after she's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)
************************

Very interesting about eye color. I have blue eyes and T has green eyes - so apparently she could be born with either and then change to the other. huh... crazy

This week I have spent as a slug. I did have a few doctors' appointments which caused me to leave the house, but other than that, I was home in my chair. Or some other chair in my house doing sit-down projects. On Monday, my OB said everything was great and after I told him about my sciatica issues, he said, "Oh, that's awful and won't go away until the baby is here" and promptly gave me a slip to be off work until 6 weeks after the baby is born. I seriously have no idea how I could possibly have taught school this week. Some of the time, I feel pretty okay and can walk around, but then BAM! walking and moving just can't happen. Bizarre. I have seen my chiropractor and massage therapist this week too and I think that has helped some. I think. In a couple weeks, all this won't even matter anymore since she'll be here and I'll feel better, right? RIGHT?!?

I have never been away from my class this long before - well, I guess I missed a week when my Grandpa died and we had to go to Florida, but I knew I was coming back to school when we got back. The idea of being home for the next 7-8 weeks or so is so strange! I totally feel out of the loop at school - although my mom keeps me pretty updated on what's going on. Just me trying to overcome my control issues. I keep thinking about kids at school and if my sub is doing such-and-such at this time, or whatever. Why can't I just let it go?!? I know that soon I'll have a major distraction to make me stop thinking about school.

This coming week I have another OB appt on Monday - he's going to check my cervix again and see how we're coming along!

I have a to-do list that I've been whittling away at. Yesterday I finally got out the new video camera we got for Christmas from my parents to start figuring out how to use it. No, T will NOT be videotaping the birth. I don't think that is really an event that I'm going to want to view over and over again. After she's here, then we'll fire it up! :)

I have pretty much the same agenda this week as last week. Appointments, rest, repeat. I still have a few things to do on my list, but they're all sit-down things and I try to tackle a couple a day. Usually with a nap in between! :) I'm trying to bank up as much sleep now as possible. The dogs are sure loving having me home. Smokey rarely leaves the comfort of the couch, and Remy seems to have taken over the guest bed as his new bed. He sleeps or looks out the window most of the day. He'll be in for a rude awakening when I go back to school and he's back outside in his run!

Oh! My new HD dish gets installed on the 9th! :) Have I mentioned lately how much I love our new tv? We got it just in time for me to have a lot of quality time with it. :)

Well, I'm off to make a grocery list for T to tackle this morning. Have a good week, everyone!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Just gonna say it again--you have my sympathies for all of it--the sciatica, the restlessness, the loss of control on the classroom, etc.

Good luck this week!!

Melisa McKendry said...

Hey Cally,

Congratulations! Your parents must be ecstatic to become grandparents!

I agree with Christina...You have all the sympathy in the world for the sciatica. If it makes you feel any better it all goes away as soon as she is delivered :)

It doesn't seem like that long ago I was dealing with the same thing.

We had our last child Sept 6th. We have 3 healthy kids now. Kelsey 6, Ryan 4, and Kaylee 4 months.

Take care of yourself and get lots of rest:)

Love,
Melisa and Royce