Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Displaced

This will be my last year teaching 3rd grade at my building. Due to budget cuts, 5 positions at my building are being cut. Me, being the lowest in seniority at my grade level, is that position. We knew that some things like this were coming down, but we didn't know for sure until the school board meeting Monday night that it really was happening. Therefore, I will be in search of another position within my district. I have 7 years seniority and there are plenty of places for me to go. Unfortunately, I'll most like have to do a "bump" and take someone with less seniority out of their position. It's a not nice thing to do, but it's part of our system and that's the way it works. I am not a layoff or a pink slip, but unless 5 elementary people retire this year, then the people at the bottom will be. This is something that I never imagined would happen in my district. However, students moving out of district or out of state, have had a huge impact on us. Our economy sucks. We've had a really good fund balance up until this year, so nothing major (like staff) has had to be cut. Right now, we're in the position that a lot of other districts have been in for quite some time. I think what upsets me most is that my school is awesome the way it is. We have 5 good elementaries in my district, but this building has the most flexible staff, the most challenging students (behaviorally and academically), and we make it work. Our MEAP scores are great, we all go way above and beyond what I know others within the district are doing. Plus, we're all great friends and get along so well. I truly love coming to work everyday. Today was the only day in the 5 years that I've been here that I didn't want to come to school. Unfortunately, T said that I couldn't stay home. Our superintendent came and talked to each of us who have been displaced individually. That was a fun meeting. I was so upset by just the thought of the meeting that I couldn't eat this morning- not good for my stress level, but great for my diet. We have our bump meeting sometime in the next few months. I'll find out for sure then where I'll be. Everyone at my school is trying to stay positive and enjoy these last few months we have together. It sucks. A lot. But, life will go on and sometimes change can be a good thing. At least, that's my stance as of now. In the meantime, I'll be collecting boxes to pack up my classroom.

In other news... the party we had for our theatre group this past weekend was a roaring success. Lots of people, lots of food. Everyone commented to us about how great it was. And it really was! Party planning is one of my favorite things to do, although I'm really looking forward to not having theatre-related things to do this weekend! Oh, and BTW, I didn't win, but it was an honor to be nominated. Maybe next year... :)

4 comments:

Lori C said...

it is so sad that we put more money into paying our politicians than educating our kids. i have a great respect for teachers. good for us that you are one of them, and good for the school who will have you on their staff.

Jessica said...

I'm sorry, Cally. This must be so hard. Call if you need to talk, yell, scream, cry or just be pissed off!

cmrteach said...

Thanks for the support, girls! I really appreciate it. Last night I went home and drank. I felt better after that! My next worry is that the state will again cut funding this month ($200 per kid = $700k loss revenue for my district). If that happens, my whole school may be closing. It just gets better and better!! What a crappy week.

melinda said...

If they close your school complete won't the class rooms at other districts be fairly large, plus they would have to pay more to bus the kids from your school to other schools since your kids all walk. That's crazy. I am sorry to hear you will forced to leave your school. I know how great it is for you there. Whenever I visit you there is always such a positive attitude, you can feel it in the air. I hope your next school will eventually be just as good for you. At least you are not one of the teachers that will get laid-off.