Sunday, December 07, 2008

30 Weeks

How your baby's growing:Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and she weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds her, but that volume will decrease as she gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. Her eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after she's born, she'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When she does open them, she'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means she can only make out objects a few inches from her face.
***************************

Holy crap, 30 weeks!! I cannot believe how incredibly fast everything has happened. 30 weeks sounds like a ton of time, but it's really not! It's crazy to think that a "full-term" baby could be living at our house in 7-10 weeks! Whoa!

I have decided that working full days just isn't very fun anymore. With all of the conferences, meetings, and doctors' appointments that I've had this year, I feel like I've been a part-time teacher. Again, this week, I am gone for 2 days! Good thing that I have a nice class that just rolls with it. My new long-term sub came in this week to observe and take over for a while, and I think everything will be just fine with her. She used to teach 3rd grade in Florida, so she's pretty accustomed to this age!

This week I had to go for my glucose tolerance test. Yuck. Actually, it wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. And of course, knowing that I had to go totally freaked me out so I did a bunch of research before I went and knew what all of my levels needs to be under at each hour. The first poke, I was way under (it can't be higher than 95 - I was 73). The other 3 pulls were full blood draws - no instant results. Grrr!! I'm still waiting to hear the official results from my doctor, but because of the first one, she didn't seem concerned at all. Hopefully, she's right!! I used to get pretty freaked out if I had to have blood taken or get shots. Now, after over 2 years of allergy shots and all the poking and prodding that happens during pregnancy - I'm not such a wimp. The nurse had to do all my draws from my "one good vein" - so I'm pretty bruised there, but it wasn't a big deal. T asked me if my right arm felt lighter than my left since she took all the draws out of that arm.

Oh! We started Birth Classes this week! T got out of work a little early and we headed over to Metro with our 2 pillows in the middle of a gigantic snowstorm with very yucky roads. Our usual 35 minute trip took us almost an hour. It was a good class - we have about 8 or 9 other couples, and everyone was married except for one girl who was there with an older woman (by girl, I mean she was probably early 20s). I had heard from other friends how when they went to class that they were the only married ones there and everyone else was there with their boyfriend (sometimes not even the father), or a friend, or their mom or someone. Maybe that's just in Ionia... Anyway, T said that he learned a lot! I read a lot, so not much was new, but our instructor went over a lot of things about preterm labor. Now, every time I say that I'm hot, T asks if I have a fever and if we should call the doctor. I just have a funky heating system right now! We go again this week to learn about actual labor. Then the next week is the tour of the birthing unit - that's what I really want to see! Where the action is!! We have class pretty much every Monday in December - plus one Tuesday for a Beginning with Baby class. That should be interesting - I'm spending all this time figuring out what to do when I'm pregnant - I should probably start learning about what to do once she finally gets here!!! I have more books to read... Christmas vacation is coming - I'll have time to read then.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I remember having a tour of the delivery room and they pulled this HUGE examine light out of the ceiling. My first thought,"Where's the sale at Art Van?"