Saturday, February 07, 2009

39 Weeks

Your baby's waiting to greet the world! He continues to build a layer of fat to help control his body temperature after birth, but it's likely he already measures about 20 inches and weighs a bit over 7 pounds, a mini watermelon. (Boys tend to be slightly heavier than girls.) The outer layers of his skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath.
*****************

Well, this sure seems to be the home stretch now! It's been another week of rest, appointments, and more rest. Some days it feels like I'm going to be pregnant forever- some days I can really see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Things I will not miss about being pregnant:
- sciatica
-water retention (cankles the size of Cadillacs and not being able to comfortably wear my wedding ring)
-inability to put on socks by myself
-crazy sore, stretched out belly
-new stretch marks appearing almost daily
-other strange aches and pains that come and go as they please
-the wondering and worrying that everything's okay in there
-constantly researching baby things - diapers, strollers, photographers, breastfeeding, etc.
-fear about impending birth - as in what kind of pain am I in store for? when will this all happen? sometimes these thoughts are almost crippling
-inability to walk very far or up/down many stairs
-taking forever to do anything!
-my brain being mush a lot of the time

Things that I will miss about being pregnant:
-having a great excuse to do - well, nothing and just rest!
-people practically tripping over themselves to help me
-being able to eat just about anything that sounded good to me (which most of the time are cheetos, lots of orange juice, doritos, oranges, spaghetti-ohs, basically things that are orange in color)
- no counting calories, points, or fat grams!
-the random kicks and movements that let me know she's doing well in there
-having her with me all the time so I know she's safe and sound
-being totally entertained for long periods of time just watching my belly pitch, twitch, and bounce around
-having these months to make new connections with T. I think that we've laughed more and talked more in the last year than ever.

As these days progress, I'll try to update as much as possible. :)

1 comment:

Julie said...

The last reason you'll miss being pregnant is soooo....sweet. Some days you'll will wonder what you talked about before she ever entered your lives.